Studies have shown that having the support and care of another woman present during labor, the laboring woman is more likely to have a shorter, safer more satisfying birth experience. With doula support, allowing women to labor in the comfort of home through early labor, avoiding potential interventions that may take place when arriving too soon to the hospital setting. Fathers-to-be relax more with this caring doula support in knowing there is a professional advocate present to assist mother, physically, emotionally & spiritually.
Some benefits of Doula Care:
- Achieving a more relaxed comfortable birth using all of the above-mentioned techniques therefore avoiding drugs and potential major abdominal surgery
- 60% reduction in cesarean rate
- Reduced duration of labor
- 40% reduced use of pitocin
- Reduced use of forceps and vacuum extraction
- Reduced chances of maternal fever and infection
- Fewer episiotomies if any
- Increased chance of successful breastfeeding
- Increased chance of spontaneous vaginal birth
“If a Doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.”
John H. Kennell, M.D.
For more information contact: Debra Geymayr, CD, CLD, CPD @ (305)498-6722 Read More…
DONA (Doulas of North America) or CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Association)